Monday, March 22, 2010

My Olympics, Canada's Gold, and Quebec

So as many of you guys know, I attended the full Olympics... now not just a few events on the weekend, my buddy and I flew out to Vancouver for the full 17 Days... here are our statistics:

  • 17 Days
  • 23 Events
  • 6 Canadian Gold Medals
  • 2 Bronze Medals
  • $4000 total in Tickets
  • No Sleep
We saw Alex win Gold in Moguls, We saw Ashely win Gold in Ski Cross, Jon M win Gold in Skeleton, Womens Hockey, and Charles Hamlin win double Gold in Short Track... the list is long.

We watched the Mens Gold from a Bar outside Canada Hockey Place, and after Canada won we didn't spend a lot of time celebrating, we went inside BC Place for the Closing Ceremonies. After watching some of the Montoges, and yes i know its been a month, but I still can't get over them, one thing stuck me. My favourite images after Canada won gold was not from Canada Hockey Place, not from on the streets of Vancouver, not even from Toronto on the other side of the country... these are all great images of pride and pure joy, but the best images come from the Streets of Montreal:



Now maybe this is because I grew up in Montreal during the high of separatism (I remember going to bed during the 1995 Referendum wondering what Country I lived in) and Im as big of a Quebecer as you will find, but seeing the streets of Montreal Covered in Canadian Flags brings a tear to my eye.

Quebec gets a bad break for being too Anti-Canada but looking at those images of young Montrealers covered in Canadian Flags, this to me shows that Quebec is moving away from the Separatist mentality and becoming truly Canadian.

No comments: